It was the hurricane season, in Blackwater 1994 when Van Larkins, a ten year old Australian discovering his gift for music, began what was to be a journey of musical exploration and discovery. Van’s father, an artist and musician, introduced his son to the guitar, which was to become Van’s instrument of choice and access to share his music with friends, family and soon after, a world-wide audience of music connoisseurs.
Van Larkins plays a modern fusion of traditional styles with a “one man band” approach incorporating bass, rhythm, melody and harmony. Van’s music has transitioned from Metallica to finger-style acoustic guitar, playing transpositions of 400-year-old harp songs.
He is now signed as a solo artist with CandyRat Records and completed his first solo album in May 2012. During that time Van has toured New Zealand twice where he recorded his first album with internationally-renowned guitarist Andrew White and played at the Acoustic Masters Series held in Hamilton where he opened three of the shows and also played with Nigel Gavin. Van has also toured America and Canada and in July 2011 performed at the prestigious Canadian Guitar Festival in Kingston, Ontario.
“Ear candy” Phil Emmanuel – Recording Artist
"Van Larkins' music immediately draws you in and won't let you go until the end of each song"
Rob Poland - Candyrat Records
“an exciting all-rounder”
Akustik Gitarre Magazine
“Van Larkins’ technique is a fluid motion of beauty in sound”
“one-of-a-kind playing style.”
Style Media (Style Magazines.com)
“Ground-breaking techniques and a depth of composition unheard of.”
“Van Larkins can make one instrument sound like an entire band.”
Sunshine Coast Daily
“Van Larkins is without a doubt one of Australia’s proudest exports and must-see performers.”
blank Gold Coast
Overdrive (Music) Magazine
“Australia's number 1 modern acoustic guitarist"
Drew Roller - Acoustic Uprising Film
“It's easy to think Van Larkins is using a backing track. He isn't” Beat Magazine
- Over 2 Million collective views on YouTube
- Signed to Candyrat Records USA
- Labelled #1 Modern Fingerstyle Guitarist in Australia
- 3 Full Length Studio Albums Released in America, and World Wide
- Endorsed by: Elixir Strings, LR Baggs Pickups, G7th Capos, K&K Pickups, Kallquist Guitars (Plays "Van Larkins Signature" Kallquist Guitars), Guitar Pro
- Has performed at Canadian Guitar Festival, Montreal Jazz Festival, Woodford Folk Festival (QLD, Australia), Sydney Guitar Festival, Melbourne Guitar Show.
- Performed with Phil Emmanuel, Don Ross, Jon Gomm, Michael Fix, Antoine Dufour, Trace Bundy, Calum Graham, Trevor Gordon Hall, Maneli Jamal, Andrea Valeri